Our client is a provider of IPTV and Satellite TV services for consumers and business customers. The company operates in the Netherlands, Flanders, French speaking Belgium, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria in Germany. All brands offer tailor made packages for clients adapted to the local culture and language.
The company has more than 3 million viewers who use a satellite dish or IPTV receiver to receive hundreds of digital national and international TV and radio channels and in the meanwhile also able to enjoy interactivity, Catch Up and VoD content via hybrid SetTopBoxes and Apps for mobile devices and tablets.
At this moment we are looking for a Content Director VOD/OTT
What differentiates our client from competitors is the channel line-up of radio and television channels and on demand content. Content Management should continuously monitor the channel line-up of relevant competitors and availability of (new) program providers that could be included in the line ups. The main task is to maintain relationships with relevant content providers, negotiate the license fees and contract the channel suppliers in accordance to budget and company targets.
The Team has to develop and maintain a clear Strategy on the type of Content the organization should use for its brands to differentiate from those competitors. A solid insight in and knowledge of the viewing behavior and statistics is the basis for this Strategy.
As a consequence the team is able to:
- Decide which channels or assets to drop
- Decide which new channels or content assets to include
- Negotiate better deals with the content providers
- Advise on marketing to stimulate usage within our base
- Advise on how to optimize our UI (App and Decoders)
The Content Director holds office in Luxemburg and reports to the VP Content. The Content Director will work closely with the Legal Department and will be supervised by the General Counsel in his contract drafting activities.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of an OTT and On Demand proposition per brand and product
- Develop and manage the annual budget for the assigned territories
- Set up and maintain a reporting structure for LiveTV and on Demand Viewerships data and market shares that enables Management to make the most adequate decisions on content matters
- Establish and maintain relationships with (a part of) the content providers: Radio, TV and VoD suppliers either on a territorial or account management basis with main focus to the offers available in the Benelux and primary responsibility for (a part of) the main multiterritorial RTV Accounts
- Prepare proposals for additions and changes to the channel line-up with underlying justification about costs and benefits
- (re-)Negotiate content distribution contracts to meet or improve annual content budget.
- In cooperation with the Content Management Coordinator, foresee all business partners of necessary documentation and inform technical/legal/financial teams of any content change which might affect them.
- Co-operate with Platform Services department to seek the most economical solution for carriage of the channels in consideration of necessary investments in network (satellite) capacity.
- Manage the contractual relationship with the content providers; drafting and negotiating contractual clauses including distribution and ancillary rights (restart/replay/TVE, etc.) assuring that all obligations of the contract are fulfilled by both parties.
- Bachelor / Master level with legal/economic background. A Master of Laws or, in the alternative, proven expertise in the field of copyrights and legal issues relating to channel distribution acquired through experience, is required.
- More than 5 years’ experience in a comparable position, preferably in a telecommunications or broadcasting company or other provider of television services.
- Ambitious, driven and self-starter. Team player with social skills.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Precise, structured, with an attention for details.
- Masters the English language, and at least one other language within the work areas (with a preference for Dutch).
- Good knowledge of European media law(s) and Intellectual Property legislation, especially copyrights.